Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Beaded I-Cords

I've had beaded I-cord bracelets in the back of my mind for some time, and have posted about them on several of the Yahoo loom groups. Here are a few samples I made up for a kid's class. You get two really different looks depending on how many pegs you use on the loom.



To make these, first string the beads onto the yarn. Putting a piece of tape on the cut end of the yarn helps! The last bead you string will be the first bead you use, so if you are putting on extra beads, do them first.

The white bracelet is made with a 2-peg I-cord. Always bring the bead up to the pegs at the same point in the wrapping process. I knit off the figure-8, put the bead between the pegs, and wrap another figure-8. I used 21 beads on this bracelet.

The blue bracelet is made with a 3-peg I-cord. The bead goes on the long strand of yarn that gets brought from peg 3 back to peg 1. There are 20 beads on it, and the blue bracelet is longer and stretchier than the white one.

So then I started thinking about purse straps. I-cords make great purse straps, but they get kinda boring. Beads would sure dress them up, especially if they are something a bit classier than pony beads. ;)



This sample is also made with a 3-peg I-cord. I think fancy rectangular beads would look really nice. Depending on the length of the beads, I might use 4 pegs for the I-cord. Again, the beads go on the strand of yarn that goes on the inside of the loom between the last peg and the first peg on each row.

My daughter has put in her request for a black choker with black beads. ¡Qué sorpresa!

1 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Crystal Grimes said...

I've just figured out that with more looming experience comes a better understanding of looming instructions, too. :o The first time I read this post when I first started looming, I had...NO CLUE what you were talking about. But I saved it because this looked cool, and I wanted to make Isela's Arelis (sp?) bracelet. Anyway, thanks for sharing this. I finally understand what to do! :D

4/29/2008 7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home