Monday, October 23, 2006

Provo Craft's Sweater pattern

Provo Craft has a sweater pattern, but the instructions are only for size L-XL. My daughter liked the sweater, and she is a ladies' size S-M. She asked me to make it for her.



I modified the instructions as follows:

Using the round yellow loom, I cast on 36 pegs, plus two pegs as turn-around pegs. I knit 60 rows for each of the front and back pieces.

For the sleeves, I cast on the same number of pegs, and I knit 44 rows.

I assembled the sweater as described in the pattern, which did not have the referenced diagram. The sides of the sleeve rectangles get attached to the cast off edges of the front and back pieces. The first 14 rows of the sleeves were sewn together as underarm seams. The sleeves can be lengthened or shortened by knitting more or fewer rows.

Allegra was uncomfortable with the depth of the V neck. So I knitted a 3-peg I-cord, which I laced in the bottom 4" or so of the V, and she was quite pleased. The V could be decreased by using less pegs for the sleeve pieces, but you don't want the body pieces to ride into the underarm area. The base of the V could also be seamed closed for 3" or so without any awkward pulling of the fabric. OTOH, the V could be made deeper by using more pegs on the loom; I think it would be attractive with the seam below the bust line.

For this sweater, I used 2-1/2 (7 oz, 364 yd) skeins of Red Heart Super Saver worsted weight yarn. I estimate that to make the size L-XL sweater, you'd need 3 skeins.

The sweater knit up very quickly; I spent maybe 15 hours on it, including assembly. The twisted knit (e-wrap) stitch with two strands of worsted weight yarn would not be among my top choices, but people who saw the sweater in progress liked the "different textured" look of it. I did finish all the edges with a single crochet stitch per the intructions, but it did nothing to stop the curling edges. Fortunately, my daughter likes it that way.



Sorry about how little detail shows in the pictures, what can you do when a girl's favorite color is black?

1 Comments:

Blogger Looming Looney said...

Wow, i like this sweater. i printer the patern from provocraft but haven't had the time to make it. yours came out great.

10/24/2006 6:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home