Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Mitten variations

My friend Lee Ann did some experimenting with mittens, using my Fitted Mittens pattern as a starting point. She followed the pattern with the first mitten, but used a worsted weight yarn. The mitten turned out great, but with the thinner yarn, it fits a child's hand.



Then she made another mitten, but made the wrist longer and turned up the hem, like the cuff of a hat.



Being a new loom knitter, she had a little trouble with the short rows and flat bind off at the fingertips, so she tried the gathered method instead.



Then she made a mitten on the red loom and felted it. It also had the gathered bind off.



They all turned out well, and she now has a nice stash of PatonsĀ® Rumor yarn she plans to use to make many Christmas gifts of mittens!

I wore a pair of my mittens while out Trick or Treating tonight. They kept my hands comfortable in the 31-degree weather for the three hours we were outside (we had a bonfire after collecting candy on horseback). If you're unsure what size to make the mittens, I would definitely make them on the smaller side!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home